TEACHER ACTIVITY GUIDES
FOR GRADES PreK - 1
Click here to see PreK-1 books & curricula materials + prices.
“The books are tales from a rich tradition of storytelling from Central Asia and the Middle East. Stories told and retold to children, by campfire and candlelight, for more than a thousand years. Through repeated readings, these stories provoke fresh insight and more flexible thought in children. Beautifully illustrated.”
—NEA Today: The Magazine of the National Education Association
The Hoopoe Teaching-Stories series provides a multicultural program designed to meet Head Start and national performance and assessment standards and other national education standards for pre-kindergarten through first grade.
Teacher Activity Guides have been developed for seven titles, and include activities for:
1. Circle Time Read-Aloud Activities, which are designed to enhance:
- Oral language through questions and discussion
- Higher-level thinking skills including making analogies
- Story understanding through repetition
- Making the story your own, providing learning that lasts
- Social-emotional development
2. Center-Based Activities, which are designed to provide:
- Deeper understanding
- Multiple modalities for learning
3. Parent Involvement Activities, which are intended to:
- Encourage parents to read aloud at home
- Enhance home/school communication
Each activity in the guides includes a rubric designed to facilitate informal student assessments by the teacher.
TEACHER LESSON PLANS FOR GRADES K-2, 3-5, 6-8
Teacher Lesson Plans have been developed for nine titles that can be used for grades K-8. For more information on Lesson Plans for grades K-8, click here.
Each activity in the lesson plans includes a rubric designed to facilitate informal student assessments by the teacher.
There are six Hoopoe titles for Grades K-2. Click here to see books & curricula materials + prices.
There are five Hoopoe titles for Grades 3-5. Click here to see books & curricula materials + prices.
There are three Hoopoe titles for Grades 6-8. Click here to see books & curricula materials + prices.